Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Feeling like a really bad parent...

Today was rough. We had a parent/principal meeting that went ok-I guess.
Our oldest is not doing so well. He is refusing to do homework, classwork...work in general.
I thought he was starting to do better, but it seems I am wrong. I sat and listened as they were trying to explain that they think that we are not as involved as we should be.
I don't know. I felt like someone ripped part of my heart out. I am trying really hard to be a good parent. No one said it be easy-trust me, I am realizing that. But atleast make me think I am atleast TRYING. So they told me that he needs to be up to a 80 in the next 6 weeks on the 3 classes he is failing or he will be asked to leave.
I keep thinking in my head "I can do this. I can do this. I CAN DO THIS." but what makes me think that I can? I feel like a failure. Like I am standing on a bridge and someone is just waiting to push me off. I mean how do you tell a STAHmom she's a failure anymore than just saying "Your kid is screwing up!"-I dunno!!
I just don't get it. On his SAT scores he reads, writes, and communicates an 8th grader-uh...hello...did u just say 8th grader???? Yes, he's smart-he's just not motivated-YET.
Today I just sat crying talking to my girlfriends and just feeling like a total screw up. And here the headline reads "Mom screws up kid for rest of life-all by the age of 12". Ok. Ok...a little dramatic-but that's what it feels like.
Hopefully tomorrow will be better!

3 comments:

Amanda Taylor said...

please be encouraged...
i think your an amazing woman, wife and mother...

will be praying for him :)

Anonymous said...

Robin,
You are a wonderful mom. I believe you've done everything a parent should and is able to do, short of doing the work for him (and you can't do that). Leave it to the Lord (as I know you will). Your son is smart and I pray God will reveal the root of this lack of motivation and in Jesus name he is not going to get kicked out. I was thinking and I'm not sure I want to blog it...so I'm going to email you. Love you and continue to trust the Lord on this one!

Lainey-Paney said...

ohhhh. I'm sorry.
you'll get through this. you guys will all sit down, and come up with a plan, some rules, whatever. you will hopefully come up with something that will work for y'all. good luck, and I'm sorry that you've felt so bad over this...

holy experience

My Family from WiddlyTinks.com